Dear Black Canyon Parents and Community,
My name is Angela Jangula and I would like to offer a big hello to Black Canyon City. As Superintendent, I look forward to being involved in this wonderful community for another wonderful year. My responsibilities will be part-time Superintendent and part-time teacher. I enjoy coaching the Volleyball Team and being the score keeper for Basketball.
Volunteers are always encouraged and Cañon will pay the fingerprint fee for any parents or family that wishes to be in the classroom working with students and staff. We would love to have a Parent/Teacher Organization. If you would like to join, contact Trinka Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School starts Monday, July 31th, 2017 and it is a full day. All students are welcomed into our school whether it is on a full-time or part-time basis. Mrs. Trinka Hall is learning administration this year to take over for Mr. Rick Barrett who has been with our district for over thirty years. They will handle all discipline and attendance. Mrs. Hall teaches from 7:50-1:00 every day, and handle discipline, testing , and technology issues until 3:00. She is available at email@example.com and 623-374-5588 ext 101.
Of course, my door is always open in the District Office, but I am in the classroom from 9:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. every day. Please come to our school board meetings held in the school library usually on the first Monday of every month. You can reach me at 623-374-5588 ext 501 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Go Cougars!!!
Angela E. Jangula
Dear Canon Elementary School District #50 Parents, Staff and Community Members,
Thank you for choosing Canon to educate your children. In Arizona, 85% of the public chooses their local district school to educate their children. Recently in Arizona, there has been a great deal of discussion about school districts’ budgets, specifically what goes into the classroom and what does not go into the classroom. Here are some facts about Canon and definitions that we feel you should know:
Facts About Canon
Arizona School District Spending Report for Fiscal Year 2015 (most recent information):
- Canon’s Administrative Costs were $2,197 per pupil while our peer average (meaning other districts similar to ours) was $3,013. This is a $816 dollar difference.
- Canon is a “B” rated school.
- Attendance rate is 95%. This is 1% better than our peer and state districts. Attendance is factored into our school grade and that is why we encourage a good attendance rate.
- Canon’s student achievement was higher in English Language Arts, math and Science than both peer districts and the STATE-WIDE average! Way to go students.
You can access the full report at:
- Classroom Personnel – These include teachers, teacher’s aides, substitute teachers and athletic coaches as examples.
- General Instructional Supplies – Items such as paper, pencils, crayons, etc.
- Instructional Aids – Included are textbooks, workbooks, instructional software and internet access for instruction.
- Activities – Examples include field trips, athletics, band and choir and other extra-curricular activities.
- Administration – Principals, Assistant Principals, Finance Director, district office staff including clerical, accounting, payroll, purchasing, Assistant Superintendent and Superintendent.
- Plant Operations and Maintenance – Costs related to equipment repair, building maintenance staff, custodial staff, grounds keeping and security staff, as well as costs for heating, cooling and property insurance.
- Food Service – Food service staff and supplies, and all costs related to preparing, transporting and serving meals.
- Transportation – Transportation staff, bus drivers and aides, and all other costs for transporting students to and from school, as well as costs related to maintaining buses.
- Student Support Services – Attendance clerks, counselors, nurses, speech pathologists, and all costs related to these critical support services for students.
- Instructional Support Services – Educational Services, Special Education and Federal Program staff, teacher trainers, librarians, and other costs related to assisting instructional staff in the delivery of high quality instruction.
Canon has worked hard to limit the impact the budget reductions have had on your child’s learning experience. We have reduced our budget over the last five year by roughly $230,000. We eliminated/reduced administrative staff, counselors, librarians, Principal/Head Teacher time, and other support services including maintenance, custodial and technology staff. Unfortunately, in order to keep a balanced budget, we have had to eliminate many aides in the classroom and teaching staff.
Public engagement is a keystone of Arizona Politics. Superintendents have met with our state officials and they welcome the input of all citizens. Canon ESD #50 has joined with 17 other Yavapai County School Districts to lobby at the legislature for student voices in education. We need your voice, too. No matter if you agree or disagree, Canon encourages you to contact your elected officials regarding the impact their decisions have on your school and on your child’s education.
Please contact them at:
Governor Ducey – 602-542-4331 or email Governor Ducey at email@example.com
Rep. Karen Fann – 602-926-5874 or email Representative Fann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Noel Campbell – 602-926-3124 or email Representative Campbell at email@example.com
Sen. Steve Pierce – 602-926-5584 or email Senator Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org
Let’s work with our legislative leaders and to better support our children and community. Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you have any questions, please call!
Angela E. Jangula